July 20, 2011

Meet & Greet: ReFinds

Amy loves to work with old and alternative materials and turning unexpected items into jewelry. She enjoys giving you new life to things that would otherwise be discarded.

Amy is inspired by nature and having her Etsy shop lets her support causes she care about. A percentage of the profit from her ReFinds shop is currently being donated to the World Wildlife Fund.

Capacitor Earrings 20 Geek chic in Black
Today Amy answered a few questions about herself and her business here is what she had to say

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.
I’m a freelance graphic designer, but my alter-ego loves to make jewelry, hit estate sales and dig through junk shops for cool vintage kit.

Mirrored Secret mini Matchbox Pendant 
What is your favorite thing about creating?
My favorite thing is that moment when I’m so immersed in whatever project I’m working on that I totally lose track of time because I’m having so much fun that no other thoughts enter my head. I guess it’s sort of like a form of mediation. When I’m making something and really loving it, all seems right with the world.

Resistor Tech Bracelet Striped  Brown
Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed/vintage materials?
I love old stuff. Things used to be built to last (not cheap plastic). I especially love things you can hold in your hand and feel the quality of how it was made. It makes me feel good to help find new life for stuff that might be tossed out just because there’s a newer (but not necessary better) version available. I also get my love of hardwire and odd electronic bits from my dad and my grandfathers. They were playthings when I was a kid and now it just feels natural to work with them.

Gnornish Acorn Earrings Dainty Green Real Acorn
What is your favorite thing about running your Etsy shop?
I’m still new enough to Etsy that it’s the thrill of getting that email that says someone made a purchase. It’s still a little bit of a shock and a rush to think that someone else likes what I sell enough to buy it. I’ve also had a great time learning how to take better photos for my shop. The other sellers on Etsy are great too…so helpful and supportive of one another.

Hanging thermometer old and well worn
What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
My inspiration comes from all over. Sometimes it’s from the materials or from nature, like with my acorn earrings. I went for a walk one day and spotted a huge collection of acorns under a big old tree and thought, “I wonder what I could do with those?” Sometimes it’s from seeing what other people are making and sometimes it’s totally out of the blue – an idea will just hit me usually when I’m cooking dinner or in the shower and not thinking about creative stuff at all.

Share links to where we can find you on the web
www.refinds.etsy.com
www.refindsVintage.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/refinds
re-finds.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing Amy!

See you next week,
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

2 comments:

  1. I love the old hanging thermometer - I'm addicted to worn and torn finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the capacitor earrings! I haven't seen anything like them before.

    <3Megan
    http://rosesandriots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete