January 12, 2011

Meet & Greet: Collagical

This weeks Meet & Greet is with our team captain Cat from Collagical. Collagical is full of vintage fashion, designer jewelry, beaded glass suncatchers, cracker jack charms, ooak collages, tag art and ephemera collage materials.

Her shop is an eclectic mix of whimsical, fanciful, and Collagical elements and objects.

Vintage Ribbon Flower Brooch or Pendant 
I asked Cat a few questions and here is what she had to say about herself and her business.

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.
I never thought of myself as an artist, didn’t even think I could draw all through my childhood. But I studied art with a teacher who taught using ‘Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain’, a light bulb turned on and I could see the world in a whole different way. When people started telling me how creative I was, and how they wished they could do what I do, I wondered, ‘Hmmm? Maybe I am an artist…’ So I’ve been making just about anything that inspires me or strikes a chord in me. Collaging is the closest to my heart- gathering diverse elements and bringing them together in a composition is magical for me, like writing a song or a poem- it’s a spiritual expression of the heart. But my shops are an eclectic mix of all kinds of media and crafts, some handmade, some vintage; and I’ve only listed a fraction of the items I have to sell!


Vintage Estee Lauder Compact Pendant Necklace

Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed materials?
I’ve been an environmentalist since I was a little kid, doing roadside cleanups, Girl Scout projects and such. When I started leading troops, I taught the girls about nature, sustainability and how to do crafts with found objects. For a couple of years in the 90’s, I did school-wide two week seminars for Earth Day Celebrations. My favorite part was a contest called ‘Treasures from Trash’. These kids made the most amazing upcycled creations- it was inspiring. Back then, everyone thought it was clever and cute. Today it’s eco-chic, trendy and marketable! Labels aside, what matters to me is that it’s helping our planet by reducing waste.


Seaside Dreams Mixed Media Collage Upcycled Seashell

What is your favorite thing about running your etsy shop?
I’ve dreamed of owning a co-op gallery for years. One with workshop space, a supply shop with donated surplus goods from the community and room for classes and art therapy programs for seniors, abused women and troubled teens. In the meantime, I have a shop, virtual, but it‘s mine! I own it and I can spread my wings and run my little corner of the internet. I love what Etsy has done for artists and crafters! Finally a place where we can return to our mom and pop roots and once again treasure the value of quality handmade goods, and you don’t have to have a bankroll to open a shop!


Upcycled Vintage Bunnies Mixed Media Assemblage Art

What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
One of my favorite possessions is a pink striped pillow my Great Grandmother made for me when I was a little girl. Then when I was 11, my Aunt taught me to sew and I made a poncho. I was thrilled, and hooked on making it myself. I am always a bit giggly and proud as a peacock when I finish a project and can say, “I made it!”

Where you can find Collagical on the internet. 
Shops
Collagical Etsy Shop ♦ I'm Sew Pretty Etsy shop ♦ Collagical Artfire Shop
Blog
Collagical BlogI'm Sew Pretty Blog ♦ Photo Art by cnicely Blog
Twitter

Thanks Cat for sharing!

See you next week,
Valerie
Additions

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this interview, warm and insipiring :)
    A fellow Upcycler.
    TY for all your work with the blog, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet you Cat :)

    I can relate to you on many levels. I have never considered myself an artist and don't really do today. I just create and that's what I do.

    Derek

    ReplyDelete