February 16, 2011

Meet & Greet: Pumpkingirl

Tracy grew up in Madison, Wisconsin. Growing up she didn't have much money, so her family did lots of things to make do, like plant their whole backyard full of pumpkins to sell. Tracy says it taught her a ton about working hard and good customer service.  She learned to sew from her Mom, who also has a shop on Etsy called Granny's Closet.

Pumpkin Girl makes hip, vintage inspired eco-friendly clothing for kids, babies and moms! Her products are made using repurposed, organic and sustainable materials.

6 - 12 Month Tiesie Organic Cotton Long Sleeve
I asked Tracy a few questions and here is what she had to say:

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.
My name is Tracy and I am from Wisconsin. I am a mom and I work full time besides running my Etsy shop, so I am BUSY! I use organic cotton onesies and vintage materials to make cute clothes for kids. My most popular item is my boys tiesies which feature real ties — great for church, coming home from the hospital, weddings and other formal events.

Nautical Vintage Baby Bib
Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed materials?
I don't like to see things get wasted, and I have an obsession with all things vintage. I think it's much more challenging to use vintage and recycled materials because you have to work with what you can find, rather than simply "order more" when you run out of something. When I take something I think might end up in a landfill somewhere and make something cute and functional out of it, it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for the world our kids will inherit.

Chocolate and jewel Tone Upcycled Teacup
What is your favorite thing about running your Etsy shop?
My favorite thing, hands down, is when people write to me and tell me how much they loved my product. I can't tell you how great it feels to know that some mama dressed her precious little one in something I made, especially for an important occasion, like coming home from the hospital. I couldn't feel more honored.

6 - 12 Month Clothsline Organic Cotton Long Sleeve
What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
I'm inspired by my own kids and what they react to. I always try my designs on them, and if they love it, I know it's a hit. It's funny though — I created this shirt for my son with breakfast foods on it, like eggs, toast and bacon (I know, who isn't inspired by bacon?!) and he wears it constantly...so much so that's it's pretty worn out already. But I tried to sell one in my shop with no luck. So maybe I need some new sources of inspiration! I am always inspired by other Etsy artists — such a talented bunch of people!

Find Tracy on the web at:
http://pumpkin-girl.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Pumpkin-Girl/79538499441
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pumpkingirl
I also have a vintage shop I share with my mom: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ilovevintagestuff

Thanks Tracy for sharing!

See you next week,
Valerie
Everyday Inspired Blog

3 comments:

  1. Great post, I love Tracy's creations. That clothesline shirt is the cutest! Off to peruse her shop and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to mention that Tracy was our second member to join Upcyclers and I thank her for her faith in what was then a brand new team! I guess she knew that Upcycling is one of the fastest growing movements on Etsy and a great fit for her adorable upcycled onesies and tiesies! We love ya, Tracy! And I'm so happy to "Meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little upcycled tiesies!

    A lil Link L♥ve from Floweringshrub!

    www.etsy.com/shop/floweringshrub

    ReplyDelete