September 7, 2011

Meet & Greet: NancyHarrington

Nancy loves scouring antique shops, shows, and estate sales, looking for unique silverware that she fashions into pendants, rings, and cuffs. Nancy also does commission work, so if you have a couple pieces from a cherished set you can have them made into something special.


Summer Beauty Antique Art Nouveau Butterfly
I asked Nancy a few questions about herself and her shop and here is what she had to share:

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.
I create one of a kind pieces of jewelry from antique sterling silver and silverplate silverware. I also have started making pieces using antique jewelry. This is a new venture for me and I'm pretty excited about it. My shop is called Woods Edge Jewelry Studio because my little place here is nestled right up against a great woods.

Savage Beauty Antique Sterling Silver Spoon
What is your favorite thing about creating?
I love creating, it allows my brain freedom to roam into new areas and explore. It's very rewarding to me to finally be able to figure out what a piece would best be used as after it sitting for a while under consideration.

Silver Breath of Autumns Being Antique
Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed/vintage materials?
I fell in love with antique silverware a few years ago. The amazing craftsmanship that went into creating old pieces still to this day floors me. The patterns are whimsical and beautiful. I love making commission pieces for a customer. Often someone will approach me with a piece of their grandmother's silver. They want to be able to have it close to them, not tucked away in a drawer somewhere. Turning these pieces into treasured jewelry is such a pleasure for me.

Pour Some Sugar On Me Antique Sugar Shovel Key Chain
What is your favorite thing about running your etsy shop?
I have made such good friends through my Etsy shop. I have wonderful customers. It's such fun to grab a warm cup of coffee and head to the computer and see what's happening on Etsy; my shop and the Etsy community as a whole. It's like a great big creative family.

What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
I am inspired by the process of taking an old piece and making it current and beautiful. I love whimsy, figurals and florals.

Band of Blossoms Antique Silver Spoon Ring
How do you keep your creative space inspiring?
I always have lovely old pieces of silverware sitting in my studio. As I"m working on a piece, I will have the other to consider and will find myself getting excited to get my hands on it and work with it.

You can friend me on facebook at Woods Edge Jewelry Studio. And if you're ever in the Chicago/NW Indiana area in the Summer, head to Chesterton, IN and look for me at The European Market, May through October, Saturdays 8 to 2.

Thanks for sharing with us today Nancy!

See you next week,
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

2 comments:

  1. This has to be the best re-use of silver I've ever seen, super beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how amazingly talented people are.

    ReplyDelete