March 23, 2011

Meet & Greet: Satrngrl

Lexan loves items that are used in ways that were not their intended use.

Her favorite material is Plarn. What is "plarn", you ask? It is yarn that is created from plastic shopping bags (also old VHS tape or cassette tape). The vast majority of her creations are one-of-a-kind and totally unique.

The main mission of her shop is to repurpose and upcycle/recycle items that most people just throw away.


Peachy Salmon and Cream Plarn and Yarn Clutch

I asked Lexan a few question about herself and her business and here is what she had to say:

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell
My name is Lexan, and I am The Lime Grasshopper (my shop is named after my 14ft. lime green sea kayak, Lime Grasshopper). By day, I run a silk flower facility. By night, I craft little ditties of upcycled goodness. Most of the items in my shop are created from upcycled and repurposed goods, like plastic grocery bags, computer parts, and yarn that may have otherwise been thrown out.


Fun Blue Pair of Ploozies Koozies

Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed/vintage materials?
I honestly don't remember why I originally started using plarn. I still have the first Ploozie I made, completely out of plarn, and it fits over a typical koozie. My friends thought it was a hoot, and I saw a way to recycle all those grocery bags that always pile up. So, my little industry was born.


Cracked HeckerBling Necklace

What is your favorite thing about running your Etsy shop?
My Etsy shop allows me to keep creating, and creating helps reduce my stress level. I have also met so many wonderful and creative people through my Etsy shop who help inspire me.


Deep Turquoise and Tan Plarn and Yarn Wallet

What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
My inspiration comes from keeping some "trash" from clogging up our landfills, and keeping our beaches clean. I love to see the looks of wonder and awe when people find out something used to be a plastic grocery bag, or the motherboard of a computer, or a shell I found while kayaking. I don't necessarily create to sell for the money. It is such fun to introduce people to the wonders of upcycling and repurposing.

Share links to where we can find you on the web
website / Blog - http://limegrasshopper.com
Facebook - http://facebook.com/thelimegrasshopper

Thanks for sharing Lexan!

See your next week,
Valerie
Everyday Inspired Blog

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Lexan's creations are awesome...I have ploozies, bags, & card holders and they are so well made and very cool. One of the coolest was a wine ploozie which is such a great alternative to a wine bag! You must check out her shop if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete